Background on Ben Carlson: I have been managing institutional investment portfolios since 2005. My career began with an investment consulting firm developing portfolio strategies for pensions, foundations, endowments, hospitals, insurance companies and high net worth individuals. Now I’m part of a team that manages a large investment portfolio for an endowment fund of a charitable organization.
In 2010 I received the CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) designation.
The thing I enjoy the most about finance is the fact that you are forced to continuously learn to keep up. The financial markets can be overwhelming to outside observers, but I’ve found that most of the simple common sense stuff still gets the best results.
Less is more is one of my guiding principles.
Albert Einstein once said, “If you can’t explain it to a six year old, you don’t understand it yourself.”
The best investors that I have followed in my career can do just that. They make the complex more understandable and put difficult concepts into common sense language.
That is what I strive to do here as well.
I’m also currently a contributor to Yahoo! Finance. See here for more.
Subscribe to A Wealth of Common Sense by clicking here.
See some of my media mentions below:
- Analyst Puts His ‘Probability bet’ on Index Funds (Globe and Mail)
- 13 Biggest Investor Mistakes Everyone Should Avoid (Business Insider)
- Nonsense Forecasts (The Reformed Broker)
- Word to the Wise: Finding Investment Insight Online (Irish Times)
- Debating “Sell in May” and Berkshire Hathaway (Barron’s)
- Why it’s Tough to Make Money with Sector ETFs in One Chart (MarketWatch)
- Wealth Advisor: When clients ask, ‘Is now the time to invest?’ (Wall Street Journal)
- Why lagging small caps might not bring down the S&P 500 (MarketWatch)
- One gold bug warns of a ‘human tragedy of epic proportions (MarketWatch)
- Time, not timing, is key to investment success (Washington Post)
- No, new ‘all-time highs’ don’t mean the market is due for a crash (MarketWatch)
- The smartest way to decouple from global growth scares right now (MarketWatch)
- Growing Economy Doesn’t Guarantee Stock Gains (Wall Street Journal)
- Trade Against a Self-Help Genius (Bloomberg)
- Wealth Advisor: Morgan Stanley Wins Public Pension Funds From Merrill (Wall Street Journal)
- Why the All-Weather Portfolio is a Wash-Out (Washington Post)
- These Twitter Pros are Must Follows for 2015 (MarketWatch)
- Rising Rates Aren’t Poison For Stocks (Wall Street Journal)
- Drama aside, stocks have had a ‘normal’ decade. Is that a relief or a worry? (Yahoo! Finance)
- How to Completely Blow an Interview by Andrew Ross Sorkin (Gawker)
- 20 Financial Advisors to Follow on Twitter (Investment News)
- The Value of a Classic in a Turbocharged World (New York Times)